The S/FTP (formerly known as S-STP) grade means double shielding, i.e. all four signal pairs have an individual shield and then the four pairs have a common outer shield.
There are several other Ethernet cable types and categories on the market, namely U/UTP (UTP) Unshielded Twisted Pair, F/UTP (FTP) Foil Shielded Twisted Pair and U/FTP (STP) Shielded Twisted Pair.
Although the system will work with other cable types than S/FTP (S-STP), it will not operate according to specifications, it's safety against eavesdropping is severely reduced and the warranty is void. Power under-voltage states may occur, resulting in system instability.
Close Talk Conference System supplies ready-made cables in lengths of 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 and 50 meters which enables quick and problem-free installation.
It is also possible to use custom built cables but please note:
- Always use Cat. 6 S/FTP (S-STP) cables
- Use shielded connectors
- Always test the cable before connecting it to any Close Talk products, a faulty cable may cause product damage
- When using RJ-45 Cable Joiners/Extenders, use a shielded type
- Use the industry standard straight RJ-45 Ethernet patch cable pin-out
- Follow the installation rules found in the full product catalog
- Faulty custom-built cables, either from using the wrong components or by poor manufacturing, may seriously compromise the system stability and its protection against eavesdropping
- Roll up cable slack using bow ribbon shape, not a coil
- Minimum cable bending radius is 30mm, lower than that may damage the cable and cause system instability
Close Talk Conference System uses proprietary signaling, not Ethernet. Only connect Close Talk equipment to a Close Talk system or property damage may occur!